Monday, March 16, 2015

Darla, Forever!


Artist Name: Darla
Album: Darla Forever!
Genre: Instrumental Fusion, Jazz, Funk
Recommended Track(s): Claudia Jean, Where Are My Keys

I have three words to say before I really start this review:

Long live Darla!

This band is probably one of the hottest bands in the philly bar/jazz scene, and probably one of the coolest live acts around. I never had as much of an appreciation for Jazz and Funk until I had gone to see these guys live at The Fire. Everyone in this band has talent, from the backbone talent of the rhythm section, to the overwhelmingly amazing horns section, consisting of mostly Drexel Music Industry students.

The album itself is pretty intense, and has an amazing production value on it, as well as heavy amounts of strong instrumentation on composition. I know what you're thinking: "How can anyone describe Jazz as intense?" Honestly it spawns from mainly the drummer and the guitars specifically on this album. Although it's not just the rhythm section that carries this band, or this album. The horn section knows what they're doing, and each time they entire a song, or take on the spotlight, it's like something magical.

This three track EP is something I have very few words for, because I honestly have no criticism for their work. I also know very little about Jazz, and the whole fusion genre in general, but I know that what the guys in Darla have is something special, and I highly recommend everyone go check out their page!

Rating 10 sexy sax men out of 10.
https://www.facebook.com/DarlaPhilly/timeline
https://darlaphilly.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment