Tuesday, February 3, 2015

FROM UNDER THE CORK TREE SURPRISE RETRO REVIEW

SURPRISE RETRO REVIEW:

So in honor of my first opinion piece for my blog this upcoming friday, I decided to give my least favorite pop punk band's first album a try. For those of you who don't know me, I absolutely hate Fall Out Boy. That being said I'm finally giving From Under The Cork Tree a chance.

And honestly... I like it. It's not anything I'm going to ever get obsessed about, like Periphery (thank you based GP music discussion board), but it's a decent album with a few decent tracks. The guitar work is definitely where it's at on this album, as well as drums. Patrick Stump's voice is good, but I still find his lyrics quite irritating. The only song I genuinely like that his lyrics are okay on, are Dance, Dance. The only sad thing about that song is that it's the only time Pete Wentz does anything interesting on the album in general.

The are a ton of things about the album other than the musicianship that irritate me, but one thing that REALLY bugs the ever-loving-shit-out-of-me is the OVERLY LONG SONG TITLES. The one other song I really found Patrick Stump does something interesting lyrically/vocally was *takes a deep breath* I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth.

Hence why I didn't want to type all of that out (APPARENTLY THERE ARE PARENTHESIS).

Imagine it's mid 2005 and that album had just come out. You want to tell your other middle-school friends about that album, and the amazing song you just heard, but THE NAME OF THE SONG TAKES ABOUT HALF A FUCKING PAGE OF TEXT TO WRITE IN A TEXT MESSAGE.

Yeah. Good thinking guys? Really. Well done.

But I digress

From Under The Cork Tree is a good debut album, and I see why FOB has the fanbase it has accrued over the years since 2005. It's not a perfect masterpiece of third wave Pop Punk like Deja Entendu, Ocean Avenue, or Louder Now, but it definitely has it's place.

Now does it mean I am a FOB fan? Hell no. Do I respect them a bit more for their roots? Yeah. Totally.

I give From Under The Cork Tree 7 Patrick Tree Stumps/10.

Go nuts kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment